social media day was launched by the popular website Mashable back in 2010, and often sees fans of the site going to real life meetups.
Social media seems to be everywhere these days. Though the days of social media pioneer Myspace are now long gone, we’re constantly hearing about trending topics on Twitter, laughing at social media fails and many people are obsessive about keeping up with their Facebook news feed. Even if Facebook and Twitter aren’t for you, there’s still blogging, Vine, Snapchat and even LinkedIn, among many others. Even businesses have recognised the value of social media for connecting with customers and selling their product, as well as quickly updating users about problems affecting their service.
Social media has become a major factor in the world. For many of us, it is how we keep up with what our friends are up to, even if they’re on the other side of the planet. It has also played a big part in world events. Twitter was used to organise protests and report on events during the Arab Spring, for example. On a more shallow note, Twitter is a great way to keep up with what your favourite celebrities are up to – as long as they don’t just use it to Instagram pictures of their lunch!
If we’re honest, most of us use social media for less than upright purposes ourselves. We use it to show off our holidays and what adventures we have planned for the weekend. Almost everyone presents an idealised version of themselves on social media, whether by detagging unflattering photos or implying their life is more exciting and glamorous than it really is. Never compare yourself negatively to your friends on social media as you’re only seeing what they want you to see!
Around here we celebrate social media every day, but June 30 is officially Social Media Day. Here are some ideas to help you enjoy the holiday.
1. Update your profiles. Take a quick look at your active profiles to make sure your information is up-to-date and accurate and best describes who you are today. Go ahead and freshen up your profile pic as well!
2. Beef up your Facebook Business Page. We know, we know. It is easier to use your personal page for business because that is where all your friends are. But maybe your friends want to know more about you than your listings…? Spend some time focusing on using your business page for business!
3. Friend or Follow a REALTOR. Whether you like their page or follow them on Twitter, connecting with other REALTORS is never a bad thing. Collaborate, share ideas and maybe even referrals.
4. Find a new blog and subscribe to it. A great blog can make your day. What is one new thing you want to learn about? There is a blog about it, guaranteed. Find it and enjoy it.
5. Get organized! Social media is much easier and more enjoyable to manage when you have some structure. Create a simple calendar to keep you organized or set up an account on a social media management tool like Hootsuite or Buffer.
6. Clean up those apps. We all know we use the apps on our Home screen the most. So strategically move those suckers around. Want to be more active on LinkedIn? Make sure your LinkedIn app is on your Home screen. Or create a folder for all of your social media apps. Most importantly, be sure to delete all those apps you aren’t using.
7. Set up a new account. Feel stagnant? Always wanted to know about Instagram or Pinterest? Set up a personal account and see what it is all about. What do you have to lose? If you like it, strategize a way to use it to market your business too.
8. Tweet using the official hashtag #SMDay.Intimidated to send a tweet?
9. Teach someone a social media trick. Are you a social media pro? Chances are you know someone still struggling to “get it.” Share your tricks in honor of Social Media Day. (Leave a comment and share your trick with us as well!)
10. Take a selfie! Selfies are popular for a reason. According to this whitepaper, “In the age of the selfie, people want something that speaks to them personally. Images that come off as constructed, airbrushed, or posed no longer resonate. People want the unpredictable, but familiar at the same time. They want real, candid moments from everyday life.” Share a selfie and “connect” with your clients on a different level.
So how best to celebrate Social Media Day? The answer is obvious! Let your networks know and spread the knowledge. Start a hashtag, upload a photo, update your status. You certainly won’t be alone as social media is still spreading like wildfire all over the world. Whatever you do, wherever you are, don’t forget to celebrate #socialmediaday!